Wednesday, October 19, 2011
That Kind of Woman
As Christmas approaches, I've been thinking more and more about commercials like the one above. Not because I believe diamonds are the only way to show love, but because these commercials used to depress the fuck out of me.
I know you're now asking why a string of cheesy, materialistic, over-dramatic ads that help drain the soul of Christmas would affect me so.
For years, I was in a horribly abusive marriage, and one of his most effective tools in controlling me was to strip away any feelings of self-worth. So, when I watched those commercials, all I could think is, "I will never be the kind of woman that inspires a man like that."
It killed me.
Fast forward to now, and all of the steps I've taken to reclaim myself since kicking his sorry ass to the curb, and I realize I've ALWAYS been that kind of woman.
I make the following promises to myself:
1) I promise to never look in the mirror with loathing again.
2) I promise to admire my flaws and know that if someone doesn't find me worthwhile, that's not my problem.
3) Never again will I allow someone else to define how I feel about myself.
4) I promise to never waste time on someone who refuses to love themselves or me.
5) I promise to choose to be happy.
6) I promise to elevate those around me so they too can see their own worth.
7) I promise to never stop believing that I am worth more than all the diamonds in a stupid Kay Jewelers.
8) I promise to let go of the anger and regret as I walk on in my new life.
9) I promise to never sacrifice being myself ever again, because I'm pretty awesome.
What promises will YOU make to show that you are That Kind of Woman (or man)? Leave your promises in the comments so we can all celebrate them.
Every time you see one of those commercials, I want you to remember what you've promised yourself and act on it. You are the only one who can change things for you.